Friends of Bucknall Park

Friends of Bucknall Park

Home About News

The History

The History

The scheme for Bucknall Park.


In 1951 the Parks & Cemeteries Committee requested the Sewage Farms & Sewage Works Committee to transfer to them 16.5 acres of vacant land at Heath House Lane, Bucknall, in order to provide recreational facilities for the people of this area.

The land was transferred and the City Surveyor and the Chief Parks Superintendent were instructed to prepare a scheme for its development. This was duly submitted to and approved by the Parks and Cemeteries Committee and an application for sanction to borrow £32000, the estimated cost of laying-out the land, was made in 1954.

The scheme was approved by the Minister of Housing and Local Government in 1955 and work commenced in August of that year.The scheme provides facilities for bowls, tennis, football, putting and a children's play area, football changing accommodation, bowls pavilion,tennis pavilion, veterans‘ room, conveniences and staff mess room.